Monday, August 31, 2009

Well, I'm finally finished with the recording project and am feeling better. The past week was not been very productive or enjoyable, for the most part. Felt mildly sick most of the week and then felt like crap Thurs.-Sat. Left school early on Friday and went to the doctor. Got diagnosed with the lovely "common" cold. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to react to that prognosis. I think I was mostly disappointed. "Come on! Validate my feelings of crappiness and all my complaining!" But I guess it's good that I don't have the swine flu. I had English Camp all last week with two groups of students. It was pretty fun. Played a lot of games, did a powerpoint "tour" of American cities and landmarks, and made burritos with them. They weren't as ecstatic about the burritos as I had hoped (or as I was). Mostly it was fun getting to know the students better and help them learn English.

Today (Monday) was the first day of the semester. I wasn't given a class schedule or told what to teach or anything. I didn't know what grades I would be teaching till this morning. Communication is not...ideal. But it's okay. It turns out that I will only be teaching 1st and 3rd year students, which is similar to 6th and 8th grades. And though I was told I'd have a class of 20 students to myself, the principal decided he wanted to go the route of most of the other schools and give me 40 students with a Korean c0-teacher. Lame!! 40 students is a world of difference from 20. My class-control-level just plummeted. Plus, I had gotten used to the level of English the the camp kids had, but they seem to be the better kids. Communicating with the classes today was surprisingly difficult. I got a lot of blank stares. I was thankful the Korean co-teacher was there to translate some things. After an introduction of myself, I taught the 1st year students a short lesson on verbs, especially future tense, and then had them right 3 things they "will do" this coming week. The 3rd year students were much more advanced than the 1st year. I was pleased. I was able to have conversations with many of them. I had them write about their summer. This was quite easy for some, but still difficult for some. There is such a huge range between their level of understanding. It's gonna be tough challenging the top while catering to the bottom. Reminds me of a book I read in college while writing a paper on homeschooling titled "Dumbing Us Down." hmmm...

So, spent some time browsing itunes, myspace, billboard today. Turns out there's a buttload of new music just coming out. Third Eye Blind, Imogen Heap, Skillet, and Mutemath. Just bought Imogen Heap's new one. She is amazing. I don't know how she does all this herself. I'm jealous. Well, I'm gonna end this. If anyone wants to skype on the weekends, let me know. below is a picture of my church. The English service is held on the top floor of the building on the left. Pretty crazy. I think there's around 8000 people at the church. And I'm taller then them all!!! No, that's probably not true. There's probably a few other giants around.

No comments:

Post a Comment