Tuesday, October 13, 2009


Well, just wanted to do a quick post before hitting the sack. It's been a little while since I've last posted, and I'm taking off for Colorado tomorrow for Ryan's wedding. Haven't really thought too much about what it's going to be like to go back to the states. I imagine it will be kinda surreal. But amazing, too. I'm so happy to spend some time with Ryan before he ties the knot. I get in on Wednesday night, get to join the other groomsmen for a bachelor party up at a beautiful cabin in Breckenridge, and then wedding on Saturday. And my other roommate from college, Tripp, is flying in from Chicago and I'm very excited to spend some time with him too. I fly back on Sunday morning and arrive in Korea at 5 PM Monday and teach again on Tuesday. Not sure how I'll be feeling by then with 2 12 hour flights within 5 days.

This past weekend I took a trip with 3 friends down to Busan on the south tip of the Korean peninsula. The purpose of the trip was to go to the Busan International Film Festival. We took the high speed (180 MPH) train there and back. It was about a 2 and a half hour trip. Super smooth and comfortable. I could have stayed on there much longer. Hopefully, the flight tomorrow will be similar. It was a good weekend. Spent some time on the beach-walking, taking pictures, playing frisbee, etc. Ate some great food, most of it western. Went to a couple of Italian restaurants. For some reason, I just haven't been feeling the Korean food lately. So, I'm excited to head back to the land of hamburgers, quality beer, and chips. I am definitely bringing back some American food to Korea.

Tonight I had a great Bible study with my friends Anlee, Amanda, and Chris. I am so thankful for them and this opportunity to seek God together and be honest about what's going on in our lives. I felt very encouraged tonight. Which was a welcome change for the brokenness and discontent I feel quite often (I can expound on that later). But today was a good day.

Well, going to bed. Below is a video of Amanda, Anlee, Gideon, and I on the train to Busan. A



2 comments:

  1. I didn't know you took that video! I do hope that your traveling goes as smoothly as this weekend. Be sure to take some photos of your trip to post...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Derek! Fun to see your videos, pics, and read about what's happening in your life. :) Sounds like a great adventure! Spencer's really enjoying the guitar right now- so fun to see him grow. Thanks for what you started in him! Looking forward to reading more about your days. :) Jennifer Clem

    ReplyDelete